After falling in love with quinoa and goat cheese recently, I was really itching to start creating recipes with both items. Then First Watch: The Daytime Cafe put a Quinoa Power Bowl on their winter menu (ummm, yum). The Power Bowl was hearty, satisfying, and definitely delicious, but it wasn’t heavy. I definitely didn’t feel like I had made a guilty mid-day indulgence. Over the weekend I decided that I would make my own dinner variation of a quinoa bowl.
Now, let me start by saying that I have never made my own pesto, so I cheated and used Maison LeGrand Sundried Tomato Pesto as a good “sauce” base for the chicken and vegetables. I also used Wegmans Sunrise Blend of quinoa and Vermont Butter & Cheese Creamery Olive & Herb Creamy Goat Cheese. Everything else is pretty straight forward, and all of the items are necessities in my pantry.
sundried tomato pesto chicken with goat cheese & quinoa:.
yield: ~3 large servings | roughly 480 calories and 20 grams of per serving [~600 cals with asparagus]
- 1/2 large onion chopped
- 1 bell pepper chopped
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup of oil vinegar dressing with herbs
- 1.5 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast [cut into 1 inch cubes or strips]
- 4 tablespoons [2 servings] of LeGrand Pesto
- 1/4 cup of marinara or pasta sauce
- 1 ounce of soft goat cheese
- 1 box of quinoa
prep: Marinate chicken pieces with oil & vinegar dressing for 2-24 hours.
- Prepare quinoa as directed on box.
- Heat olive oil in skillet to saute onions and peppers. Once vegetables are cooked, add pesto and set aside. Cook and drain chicken pieces in the same skillet until no longer pink. Add cooked vegetables in pesto plus the marinara/pasta sauce to chicken and let simmer on low until everything is heated through.
- Serve chicken on top of prepared quinoa and then add goat cheese directly to the top.
for asparagus side: Pre-heat oven for 400 degrees. Toss asparagus with olive oil, cracked pepper, and balsamic vinegar and spread spears out on a baking sheet. Roast the asparagus for 16 minutes [8 minutes on each side]. Add parmesan cheese and serve.